of Simon's Golf Club
Acquisition of Nybogaard and Ladehøjgaard
Arne Simonsen acquired the estate of “Nybogaard”, a Manor House situated in the countryside north of Copenhagen. The history of Nybogaard can be traced all the way back to 1688 but the first ties of the estate to the shipping industry were established in 1795 when the new owner, Arthur Howden from Elsinore, British by birth and a ship broker by trade, was the first person to be granted a royal deed to this beautiful and undulated land.
On August 1st 1987 the ties to the shipping industry were once more established when Arne Simonsen purchased both Nybogaard and the adjoining estate of Ladehøjgaard to develop what would become one of Denmark’s most challenging golf courses. Which coincidentally, historical records show that in 1929 a golf ball was hit at the then dried out Ladehøj Lake.
Golf Course Construction
World renowned British Golf Course Architect, Martin Hawtree designed and began construction on the first 18 holes of the International Par 72 golf course. The design of the course implements a drainage system so efficient that it makes it possible to play on normal greens and tees all year round.
Rebuilding the Clubhouse
Working to protect the historical aspect of the original farm and buildings, the Clubhouse was designed with a simple, stylish architecture to fit neatly into the surroundings and providing members and guest with high quality facilities and a welcoming “hygge” atmosphere.
Developing Hotel Nybogaard
Providing golfers with the option of accommodation, Arne Simonsen worked to maintain the integrity of the historical and beautiful buildings at Nybogaard. The intention was to create a charming alternative to a traditional hotel, conveniently situated and overlooking the first green of Simon’s Golf Club.
Completion and opening
On May 24th 1993 Simon’s Golf Club was officially opened when Masters Winner and Ryder Cup Captain, Ian Woosnam, hit the opening drive. Amidst much celebration and with a large number of guests the opening was a day to remember and established Simon’s Golf Club as one of the most prominent in Scandinavia.
From 1994 – 1997 Simon's Golf Club hosted the Danish Open, a national open golf tournament and part of the European Challenge Tour. Won by Liam White - UK (1994), Rob Edwards - UK (1995), Robert Jonsson - SWE (1996) and David Lynn - UK (1997). In the 1997 event our own Head Pro, James Petts made the cut in the tournament.
From 3rd – 10th August 2003, Simon’s Golf Club was honoured to hold the first ever European Tour event in Denmark the Nordic Open.
Attended by some of the golfing world’s most elite and well known players, the 30,000 spectators watched as Ian Poulter shot 66 in the final round to win the Nordic Open, with Colin Montgomerie in 2nd place and Denmark’s own Søren Hansen in 3rd.
New 9 holes
In 2007 work was completed on a Martin Hawtree designed 9 hole extension to the existing Championship Course. For the official opening on 21st May, we saw the return of both Ian Woosnam and Colin Montgomerie.
The opening drive was hit again by Ian Woosnam under the biggest banner ever made in Denmark “Woosie! Come on… show us the way”. Our own members Iben Tinning and Ryder Cup player Søren Hansen played in an afternoon skins match along with other specially invited guests who had the opportunity to play alongside these golfing legends.
Nykredit Masters and new Greenkeeper Facilities
September 2008 saw Simon's Golf Club host another European Tour event, this time for the L.E.T. The Nykredit Masters ran from the 5th -7th September and was won by Marina Eberl's stunning final round of 66, ahead of our own Iben Tinning, Melissa Reid from the UK and the "Tiger Woods of the Ladies Tour" Annika Sorenstam in what was to be her final European event prior to her retirement at the end of that year.
In 2008 work was also completed on the new Greenkeeper facilities just south of the golf course, including a state of the art workshop and newly renovated farm building with all modern conveniences.
On 24th May 2013 Simon’s Golf Club celebrated its 20th Anniversary. More than 250 members and business associates attended a fantastic dinner party and golf tournament to commemorate this wonderful milestone.